Coconut oil possesses several health benefits and it can now be prepared in the comfort of your house.
Luckily for you, the recipe is not complicated at all, so let’s teach you How you can prepare homemade coconut oil:
- Warm Water.
- Get the coconuts smashed with a heavy blunt object, then get the coconut meat out of the coconut shell with a knife. If the coconut is a ripe one, the coconut meat will get out of the shell smoothly.
- Get the pieces of coconut rinsed completely and cut them into little pieces so your blender can do less work.
- For palatable results, make sure the coconuts are blended with warm water till they are smooth. You might have to grind in batches but this will depend on the quantity you are preparing.
- Pour into a sieve to split the coconut milk from the chaff. Then use your hands to press and squeeze out the last drop.
- Make sure the chaff are ground one more time to get added coconut milk, then make use of a sieve with a fine mesh to take out the smallest particles from the coconut milk. This coconut milk comes with several health benefits and can also be used to prepare coconut ice cream.
- When you are through, cover the coconut milk bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, the coconut oil would’ve been separated from the water and caked amazingly on top. If it did not cake, it could be that the water you used has a lot of chlorine. Try getting it done one more time with bottled water.
- Take the caked white coconut oil and have it placed in a clean dry stainless steel pot. The water that is left in the bowl still possess some coconut taste and you can still use it to prepare Coconut Rice, White Rice and so on.
- Cover the pot and start cooking. Make sure the heat is low to medium. If you detect smoke when cooking is going on, reduce the heat to very low.
- Watch the pot and stir once in a while. Keep cooking until you see some burnt coconut bits in the oil.
- Set the pot aside so the coconut oil can lose some hotness and be cooled down to a reasonable temperature.
- Get it sieved into a plastic container with a cheesecloth to take out the burnt bits. If you detect any burnt bit in the sieved coconut oil, sieve one more time with a paper towel.
Your coconut oil is prepared. The coconut oil can be used for cooking, your body and your hair. Just make sure it is stored in a cool dry place and use it as you please.